I can't claim that I am an expert on the conflict in Sri Lanka, but with the recent protests in Toronto I began to read more about the LTTE. They claim to be freedom fighters, but the methods that they've used to ensure their victories all seem like methods used by terrorists (ie. suicide bombing and attacking civilians). They've apparently just admitted defeat over in Sri Lanka and the country is celebrating its victory.
Now the UN sees this group as a terrorist group as do the Canadian government. I'm curious as to how the protesters can request help from the Canadian government when they wave around the flags of a group that the country believes is a terrorist group? Dalton McGuinty recently came out with a statement that acknowledged that the death of civilians was indeed saddening, but at the same time implited that there would be no aid sent. How do Tamils feel about this?
Also, I'd like to know why you think the Canadian government should/should not help these protesters. I pretty much gave reasons why they won't, but I'm interested in opinions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment