Friday, May 15, 2009

The market for card games is really overblown.

So what I do from time to time to make money is sell trading cards to the people of the internet (which was essentially how I made my money in high school). I recently went back to this method of income, only to find that trading cards have gotten insanely expensive. How does a shiny piece of paper translate to $150?

Imagine my surprise when I bought a box of Yugioh cards with the intent to sell the contents. Upon cracking one of these $150 cards, I had made back my money WITH profit. I managed to sell the rest of the box for an additional $300. Are you kidding? I spent about $100 dollars on that box and made back $350? Get out of here, that's someone's rent for a month.

Who the heck decides the prices for these cards? I'm happy that I made that much money, but I'm baffled at the same time. Why in the world would you spend $150 dollars of your hard earned money for a piece of paper that will soon become unusable (as is in the case with Yugioh). Heck, Magic is guilty of it as well as anytime a piece of paper is worth over $10 dollars its not really worth your time at all.

Maybe its just me. These games are hobbies after-all, and the dedicated will spend their money on whatever they like. I know that if you get really good at these games you can make some amazing money off of them, but that takes a lot of time and effort as well as money.

I'm just surprised. Nay..I'm astonished.

No comments:

Post a Comment